Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bloggin' about Borris

An instant smile spread across my lips as I read 'Welcome to Fashion Ave' on a customized street sign outside Borris's storefront window. With a mixture of excitement and nerves, I turned the handle to enter his boutique for our afternoon appointment.

Borris Powell, a self taught fashion designer, caught my eye at Chicago's 2010 Fashion week, in addition to several publications spotlighting his lavish designs and recent success (http://www.borrispowell.com/). I reached out and he graciously agreed to meet despite his busy schedule and the release of his latest collection.


His assistant politely greeted me as he wrapped up a business call, allowing me a few moments to take it all in. Borris's studio space was everything and more an aspiring designer like me has always envisioned. Playful mannequins were centered around an inviting sitting space, with a rack of dresses positioned near a floor length mirror. Shelves of accessories lined a single wall, and through the curtains I saw a sneak peek of authentic sketches, which I would soon learn is something Borris himself continues to develop every day. Most importantly, a simple ironing board, a few bolts of fabric and the essential sewing machine seemed the perfect equation for a successful dress shop on Halsted.

Borris strolled through the curtains and warmly greeted me, putting my nerves instantly at ease. For the next hour he shared his personal experiences, insightful advice and a few genuine laughs. He confirmed what only designers can attest to; the industry not only takes hard work, long hours and self motivation, but many sacrifices and a continuous push from within. He shared his most rewarding moments of being backstage and taking that final breath before the curtains open, seeing it all come to life. Borris also confirmed one of my sneaking suspicions; Chicago is one of the single greatest and most supportive cities in the industry. While we may share this bias, it truly seems as if Chicago has a special community of designers that independently bring a flavor of creativity to this scene. Borris specifically holds a place in his heart for Chicago designer Elda de La Rosa, who I have also had the great pleasure of working with. Lara Miller is a fabulous resource and was noted as extremely supportive as Borris took his first few steps, among a few others.

I found this community support encouraging, and through writing this blog entry hope my experience meeting with Borris this week can be shared with not only my fellow design students, but those pursuing a passion that at times may seem unattainable or out of reach. A special thanks to Borris, who is a personal inspiration and an invaluable addition to this great city. Anxious to see what lies ahead, and for those of you as intrigued as I, please tune in for Borris's upcoming show on March 11th, The Rise of an Empress - Borris Powell.

No comments:

Post a Comment