Monday, January 17, 2011

FAME 2011 - Student Designs Unleashed

It’s starting to get good… student designers at the Illinois Institute of Art- Chicago are reaching a point where independent design and execution is FINALLY possible. I emphasize FINALLY, as the first two years consisted of following strict patterns, executing the same circle skirt, and perfecting the basics in construction as a stepping stone. The majority of us would agree we grumbled under our breath as we were itching to break away and paint our individuality, but in hindsight certainly understand the importance.

FAME 2011 is an annual event hosted at the Harris Theater downtown Chicago, allowing students to showcase their creative designs and collections. For first time students submitting garments in FAME, there is one simple requirement – STRIPES. While this initially lacked appeal, the results are exciting and in my opinion even more challenging. How do you incorporate something as simple and timeless as stripes, and make it runway worthy? After perusing the student work and collecting a few photos, I can truly see the “designer,” in some of these pieces. One in particular is a dress designed by Aris Sergakis. As I snapped a quick photo for my blog and he applied the finishing touches, I muttered under my breath - "That's so Aris..."












Elle Govek (right) completed a course in active-wear, and created a collection of black and blue pieces pairing jersey and mesh fabric.

Ethan Haas (below) took a cocktail approach and created a dress out of hounds tooth, satin and an 89 cent recycled lamb leather jacket from a local thrift store. I think this calls for a trip to Goodwill.





Depending on course curriculum, not all students were required to work with stripes. Attached is a personal sneak peek into my menswear design that will be showcased at the event. Inspired by HBO Boardwalk Empire, I began with a basic 1920s silhouette, adding design detail in the waistband, lapel, and welt pockets. I also chose a high contrast fitted vest, and am confident “Nucky” himself would willingly sport my design. On behalf of the students at AI-Chicago, we welcome the opportunity to share our work with you, so please consider a night on the town for a look into the upcoming student FAME!


http://www.harristheaterchicago.org/calendar/performance?id=3270&mos=7

1 comment: