Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Flash Bulbs & Fashion

My nerves were so jumbled the morning of the photo shoot, all I could concentrate on was securing the tequila. I set aside the fact that I needed to organize all my looks, coordinate shoes, accessories, make-up and hair ideas, and focused on the sultry Mexican liquor. After I ventured to the local grocer and picked up four bottles (for the group!) I was able to think more clearly and start making progress.

Chad and I met Bill Whitmire at our favorite watering hole, The Driftwood on Montrose and Broadway a few months back. I had full intentions of talking Chad's ear off that evening, but he apparently had another agenda; eye balls glued to ESPN over the bar. I was quickly distracted and noticed a glimmering metallic pool cue, and an owner with a funky haircut that would be shunned in corporate America. We sparked up a conversation that led to art, fashion and photography, and suddenly Chad felt the desire to pipe back in.

I learned Bill had a passion for creative photography, and was specifically interested in the opportunity to work with fashion designers to add to his already robust portfolio. Due to hectic schedules with work and personal travel, we weren't able to secure a date until a few months later, and before I knew it the day was before me, and I was ready to rock and roll.

I have been extremely blessed to work with two very talented and beautiful models, who are also near and dear to my heart and personal friends. Beth Davidge, a friend I met at undergrad UWEC, is an inspiring and amazing woman, and someone I've cherished since the day we met. She and I have giggled, cried and celebrated over the years, and I am so blessed to have her as a neighbor in this great city! She brings a certain flavor and life to my garments that is unlike anything I've seen before.

Chad introduced me to Nichole Smith and her husband Malcolm (check out his food blog!) shortly after I moved to Chicago, and she has truly become a fashion muse. Nichole has a natural beauty and laughter about her that makes everyone want to be near, and is always willing to be part of the excitement. She too brings life to a garment that sits quietly on a mannequin, waiting to be worn.

We ventured to Bill's studio around noon and began getting organized. Jeremy Witteveen was another photographer who joined the shoot, and added his own spice to the day. Bill's girlfriend Meredith was an amazing hostess, and warmly welcomed us all into her home. The space was amazing, with cameras, lights and backdrops positioned around the room. The room was filled with new friends, old ones and the two resident dogs, Turtle and Tivo. I couldn't be more thankful for the opportunity to finally sit back, relax and let these ladies work their magic!

Now that I've set the stage for the afternoon, I'm going to let the video tell the rest of the story. Created and edited by Chad Vanags, I will forever cherish the documentation of my first photo shoot with an amazing group of folks. A sincere "THANK YOU" to all who contributed and made this day so ridiculously memorable!






































2 comments:

  1. While I should be working on my blog I am over here reading your's and watching that awesome video again. I just love your stuff Stac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacie, your photos are *amazing*!!! How could they not be though, since you need amazing work to create amazing photos ;) Seriously so impressed- every one of these is gorgeous and showcases your talent beautifully. So excited for you! :

    ReplyDelete